Build a Team
You've signed up for Technovation. Now what?
As a part of Technovation, you will:
- Identify a problem in your community to solve.
- Develop a mobile app to address that problem.
- Begin building your business.
- And finally, create a pitch to share your business with others.
We’ve found that the best way to participate in Technovation is with a team. Teams can have up to 5 girls, ages 10 to 18, and 1 or 2 mentors, who are parents, teachers, after school coordinators, or tech/business professionals.
If you already have a team, fantastic! You can skip ahead to the Create a Team section of this pre-unit.
If you don’t have a team yet, don’t worry! We’ll walk you through each step to set you up for success in recruiting a team in your area, or joining a team on my.technovationchallenge.org.
“Believe you can, and you're halfway there.”
— Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States
Recruit a Technovation Team
Let's start with what we know:
- You are interested in participating in Technovation.
- You have interests outside of Technovation.
- Technovation can bring together these interests through technology, coding, and building a business.
- In forming a team, it is helpful to find teammates with a wide variety of ideas and skills to help bring more perspectives to the project.
Let's find some other girls who are interested in working together to build something great!
Complete this worksheet to help identify people and organizations in your community that you can work with to form a team. You'll build a really awesome list of people and groups who can help you form your team!
Share these resources to help form your team
- Inspiration Video The full CodeGirl documentary is available on Netflix
- Recruitment Flyer: English or editable (edit using free Adobe Reader)
- Technovation Information Booklet
- A personal story about why you decided to join Technovation. Share your inspiration!
Keep in mind:
- Emphasize that girls do not need technical experience to participate.
- Make sure you collect contact information (name and email) so you can follow-up with more information and the link to register: my.technovationchallenge.org
- Show your excitement!
You can also:
Once you’ve recruited your team, have them visit my.technovationchallenge.org to complete their registration and get their parent consent form signed. Once everyone is registered, you can create your team! If you were unable to recruit a team in your area based on the above suggestions, don’t worry! You can also try joining an existing team.
- Log in to my.technovationchallenge.org/. It will look like this:
- Make sure you have permission from your parent/guardian.
- You can email your parent or guardian the form from your dashboard.
- Please ask them to check their email to sign it, so you have access to the platform.
- If you entered your parent’s email incorrectly, you can:
- Double check the email from your dashboard.
- Or you can update it on the “My Profile” tab.
- Once the email is updated, it will automatically send the form to the new email address.
Create a Team
If you want to join an existing team, you can skip this step.
- Click “Register you Team” on your dashboard. It looks like this:
- Complete your team name and location.
- Then, click the “Create this team”. The team page will look like this:
- Now you can invite more members to join your team!
- Add a photo of your team members or a photo that represents your team.
- Indicate whether other students can request to join your team.
- Indicate whether mentors can request to join your team.
- If your team is not accepting more members or more mentors, please be sure to revisit this page to uncheck those boxes so that you do not receive unnecessary requests
- Remember, you can only have 5 team members.
Join a Team
If you were unable to recruit a team, don’t worry! You can also try joining a local or virtual team on my.technovationchallenge.org. All you have to do is complete the following steps:
- Click “Join a Team” on your dashboard:
- You will be shown a list of teams within 50 miles of you who are still looking for members. You can also update the filter on the lefthand side to show you teams in other cities that you might like to join. For example:
- You can click on each team name and learn a little more about them.
- The Team Division is listed under the team name.
- You will also see a team description.
- Finally, you see a list of team members and mentors. Only first names will be displayed.
- If a team looks like a good fit for you, ask to join by clicking the “Request to Join [team name]” button at the top of the page.
- The team will be notified via email of your request.
- You will receive an email when the team accepts or declines your request.
- If you are accepted, you can log back into my.technovationchallenge.org and click on the “My Team” tab at the top of the page. You’ll see the same team page as before, but this time you will see each team member’s full name and their email address. You can contact them to help set up your first meeting.
- If you were declined to join the team, don’t worry! There are many other teams looking for teammates. It’s possible that the team you requested to join already has enough team members or they decided to move forward with fewer than five members. It is important to keep trying, you can repeat steps 3–6 until you find a team that is a good fit.
“Unity is strength... when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.”
—Mattie J.T. Stepanek, American poet and peace advocate
Ready to move on?
In the next unit, you'll learn how to find a mentor!